Friday, December 5, 2008

What a year!

Now that I have found some time to reflect on 2008, I realize what a crazy year this has been! I started a new job, which I loved, had some strange health issues periodically, celebrated my sister's wedding over 2 weeks of craziness, welcomed my husband back from his 6 month overseas trip to deal with family lawsuits, dealt with a lawsuit in the US, got laid off from said job, went on a cruise to Mexico, signed a settlement for the US lawsuit, and got diagnosed with a major illness.

Now that I have recovered a bit from the above, at least enough to be able to write about it somewhat coherently, I am working to keep positive about the future. I know for sure that these are minor setbacks, and that things will hopefully continue to improve. I am so ready to move back into my independent life - depending on others just sucks!

Of course, the year hasn't been all bad. Obama won, my sister's wedding was a truly fabulous occasion, the cruise was awesome, and I made some amazing new friends at work and home. There is also a real sense of trust that must be established in order for you to depend on others for basic things. I'm not sure that I ever had that sense of trust in anyone, at least not for a very long time. It feels great to know that my family has my back no matter what - I'm not sure that I ever really realized this before. Strange but true!

I realize now that maybe this time off from life is what I need in order to regroup and make changes for the better. Generally periods of intense turmoil are accompanied by growth, and it ends up having been worth it when you look back. I'm not worried, just ready for 2008 to be over. This has been quite a year!

A

2 comments:

ratmammy said...

I can imagine!! what a year! that was my year in 2006, when my mother die, cousin commited suicide, gertie died, i developed all sorts of weird stomach issues, then a hysterectomy... i know i'm grateful, things could have been worse.. and my mother was suffering and she is not anymore. i can say the same for my cousin too. whatever was making him unhappy, he's finally at peace.

Amy said...

@ratmammy - Oh my goodness, I remember that year! I think sometimes all you can really do is hold on for dear life and know that things eventually turn around. Things have gotten way better for you since then, right? I think it's just a process - one of those horrible periods in time that we have to face and deal with. I really appreciate the comments. Hugs to you, Charlie, and Blackie and Bob!

Los Cabos

Los Cabos
Los Cabos